If you’re thinking about becoming a vegan, for weight loss benefits, you could see a dramatic difference in your size rather quickly. The adjustment isn’t always easy but the benefits could be very worthwhile. If you’re a vegan looking for weight loss tips, below is some advice for you as well.
Vegans are clearly limited in their dieting menu as vegans don’t eat any animal products at all so vegan weight loss can be slightly more challenging than for vegetarians and meat eaters. Read on for some helpful advice about vegan weight loss.
Some people who switch to a vegan diet lose weight straight away. The change in the diet can dramatically transform your body. But those who are already vegans and are looking for vegan weight loss tips may get some great results by using some of the following recommendations:
- Measure your portions. By measuring, you’ll be surer of the true caloric intake of what you’re eating. When you start measuring, you could be surprised and see the source of recent weight gain.
- Many vegan protein sources, such as nuts, for instance, can be very high calorie. Find out about the caloric value of some of your regular staples so that you can tweak your portions or switch out some of those sources for lower calorie alternatives.
- Meal replacement shakes or bars. You can find vegan friendly weight loss shakes or bars that could help you trim your caloric intake. Do be careful about overdoing it with these. You need to be sure you get adequate nutrition.
- Check the nutrient content of your food. Not all vegetarian or vegan foods are healthy. Opt for nutrition first and you’ll make better choices.
- Watch your sugar. Sugar can turn to fat if you’re eating too much of it. It can also cause junk food cravings, making weight loss harder. Look for hidden sugars on the ingredients list, too. Just because it’s ‘natural’ or ‘organic’ doesn’t mean it’s not still going to cause weight gain.
- Exercise. Weight loss is a matter of math. Burning 3500 calories can equate to a pound of weight gone. Not only will it make you lose weight faster but it will also help you look better as you shed the weight. It’ll tone and define your body, especially if you rapidly lose weight.
- Eliminate processed foods as much as possible.
- Graze. Instead of eating just a few large meals a day, eat smaller portions more frequently. This will rev up your metabolism.
- Increase your fiber intake. Most vegans get more fiber than many other people because of the amount of healthy and fibrous food eaten. But maybe you haven’t eaten as much fiber as you should lately. Measure it to try to get at least 25 grams a day. This will aid in digestion as well as help you feel full sooner.