If you’re like many people who think that dairy could be a cause of various health problems, you might be wondering how you can make a dairy free diet work. Whether you are lactose intolerant or simply want to eliminate dairy from your diet to see if you can overcome some health issues that might be related to it, read on for some information to help you make a dairy free diet work.
It’s important to consider how you will get the right level of vitamins and nutrition and get around recipes that call for milk, butter, cream, and cheese. Read on for some tips for your dairy free diet:
- Be sure that you take a multivitamin to be sure you get an adequate amount of calcium, magnesium, and other nutrients that you’d normally get from dairy products. Most people aren’t able to follow a picture perfect dieting regime so whether you’re going for a dairy free diet or not, a good multivitamin is smart.
- Look for a milk alternative. You may want this for your coffee, for your cereal, for drinking by the glassful, or for use in recipes that call for milk. You might be interested in trying soy milk or almond milk, for example. Almond milk often works great in baking recipes, for example. If you’re highly allergic, you may find rice milk more agreeable than almond or soy milk.
- If you have small children that do not have a problem digesting milk, you may opt to keep giving this to your child. If that’s not your desire, talk to your pediatrician to make sure that you know what’s required for an ample amount of milk alternatives. Small children need much more dairy in their daily diet than an adult so it will take a concerted effort to make things work in a dairy free diet when kids are involved.
- You can find dairy free cheese and ice cream, too. If needed, you can check your local health store for some alternatives and suggestions on dairy free diet products to try.
- Consider consuming extra calcium rich foods, such as calcium enriched orange juice and increasing your intake of salmon, sardines, and tofu. Many dark green leafy veggies also have a lot of milk-like nutrition qualities.
There will be a period of adjustment as you navigate through this unfamiliar territory but whether you’re doing it for an experiment or because you need to do it, there are a lot of available products to help make a dairy free diet much easier.